Parents for Public Schools, Inc. (PPS) is seeking a full-time Executive Director who is an entrepreneurial leader for this established and growing national organization. Candidates must have a passion for public education issues; a familiarity with national education networks; an understanding of civic engagement strategies and politics; a deep appreciation for the role of parents as change agents; an understanding of the dynamics of school systems; and anappreciation for the diverse PPS constituency including regional, economic, cultural, racial, gender, age, sexual orientation, and language differences.
The Executive Director will be responsible for championing and executing the PPS Strategic Plan that includes:
• Creating a diversified and sustainable financial structure
• Expanding and strengthening the network of chapters
• Elevating participation and influence at the national level
• Strengthening Board performance
• Proven record of organizational executive leadership; minimum of five years or equivalent experience as a manager/director required;
• Self-directed leader with the ability to build trusting relationships across multiple constituencies;
• Strong understanding of the public education system;
• Innovative leader and self-starter; takes initiative to champion new ideas and garner the necessary buy-in to successfully execute strategies;
• Solid business acumen with good financial understanding of running a successful non-profit corporation or organization;
• Documented record of developing successful fundraising strategies within a non-profit organization;
• Ability to execute multiple strategies effectively with limited resources;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or equivalent experience in a related field is preferred.
Job Responsibilities – Executive Director reports to a national board of directors and has direct fiscal responsibility for managing, maintaining, and growing an annual operating budget of $1.40M.
• Managing and leading organization and staff of at least 10 professionals;
• Directing organizational leadership in national education issues;
• Overseeing development of strong chapter leadership and growth;
• Significant sustainable fundraising;
• Public speaking, submission of written materials for publication, and networking;
• Significant travel expected;
• Cultivating diverse national board membership.
Submit resume and cover letter (in electronic PDF format) detailing how your specific experience and qualifications
match this position to:
Steve Calloway, PPS National Board President
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
Resumes accepted until June 30, 2014.
PPS provides a distinct community-based framework to bring parents together across historic divisions and special
interests to champion public education and advocate for equity. PPS is in 13 states and receives support from
national, regional, and local funders. The national headquarters is in Jackson, Mississippi – candidates in other
locations are encouraged to apply.
PPS is an equal opportunity employer.