The Arc of Chemung
The Arc of Chemung is an established and well-respected nonprofit that supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The Arc of Chemung is seeking an experienced Executive Director who can build on our successful track record and who shares our values, including a commitment to a person-centered culture.
The Arc of Chemung was founded by family members in 1953 as a nonprofit committed to meeting the needs of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families in Chemung County in Central New York. The agency provides quality supports for individual growth by providing opportunities for increased independence and participation in the community. We support more than 800 individuals annually, with an operating budget of $24 million, consisting primarily of government funding sources.
We achieve growth for individuals through four types of supports: family, residential, vocational, and developmental health.
Family supports are delivered to more than 400 individuals in the community as well as certified settings. Family supports consist of community skills training toward greater independence, socialization/recreation, service coordination, and respite.
Residential supports are delivered to more than 125 individuals in 22 community settings, including supportive/supervised apartments, individual residential alternatives, and intermediate care facilities. Some limited overnight respite is also provided.
Vocational supports to more than 175 individuals are geared toward competitive employment, and include job coaching and job placement support that is custom designed for each person.
Developmental health supports include social work, psychology, psychiatry, occupational and physical therapy, nutrition counseling, and evaluation. All are designed to enhance the independence and community inclusion of the more than 400 people we support in this area.
The Arc of Chemung is a chapter of NYSARC, Inc. and is nationally accredited by The Council on Quality and Leadership (CQL). As a nationally accredited leader in the field, we are guided by our passion for excellence and our vision of the future. We achieve high standards of performance with our high quality staff, innovative methods, and collaborative efforts. The Arc of Chemung has a staff of more than 475. The Executive Director is supported by an eight person senior leadership team, which includes an Associate Executive Director, HR Director, Public Relations Director, Residential Services Director, Family Support Services Director, Developmental Health Services Director, Quality Enhancement Director, and Finance Director.
The Executive Director reports to our 13-person Board of Directors, which is made up of representatives from the community and local businesses. At least one third of our board includes family members of people supported by our programs and/or self-advocates. Our current Executive Director is retiring after 35 years of service.
For more information, visit The Arc of Chemung’s website at:www.arcofchemung.org.
The Executive Director works in partnership with the Board to set the strategic vision of the organization and translates that vision into actions to advance the organization’s mission and impact. He/she will bring a passion for providing outstanding services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and will work with their families, state and county government agencies, philanthropic institutions, community partners and other stakeholders to provide high quality person centered care.
Leadership Outlook and Near-Term Priorities
- Provide strategic leadership related to the implementation and evaluation of supports in a changing environment, including but not limited to the potential transition to managed care from fee for service
- Stay current on changes in the field including programmatic, regulatory and technological changes.
- Continue to broaden leadership and bench strength for leadership and management positions.
- Work with members of the leadership team to continue to attract and retain high quality direct service providers in an increasingly competitive job market.
- Increase flexibility of our benefits package to respond to staff needs.
- Develop a case statement for private fundraising and strategies for reducing reliance on government funding and play an active role in the implementation of these strategies.
- Provide strategic leadership to address the financial and programmatic impacts around the closing of the work center, and the expansion of community employment.
- Raise the profile of the organization in the community by implementing a brand awareness campaign.
- Oversee new contract for START (Systemic Therapeutic Assessment Resources and Treatment) program, a new 17-county pilot program that provides community-based crisis response and prevention services.
- Explore collaborative opportunities for program delivery, staffing and managed care.
The Executive Director provides strategic leadership both internally and externally, and continually seeks opportunities to increase The Arc of Chemung’s impact. Primary responsibilities include:
- Ensure that the organizational culture is one that is progressive, warm and welcoming to the community we serve.
- Provide leadership to the senior leadership team to foster professional development, establish expectations, and continue to provide outstanding programs and services from staff throughout the organization.
- Provide strategic fiscal leadership that supports current programs, services, and staff, and strengthens the financial health of the organization by diversifying funding sources.
- Assess progress toward strategic priorities and lead organization through strategic planning process every three years.
- Develop relationships with individuals and families served by The Arc of Chemung.
- Assess existing partnerships and relationships and cultivate and grow relationships with key external stakeholders.
- Play a leadership role in the Finger Lakes Collaborative.
- Play an active role in NYSARC and the Executive Directors Association.
- Identify and implement collaborative programs with other organizations serving persons with intellectual and development disabilities.
- Ensure that the organization is in compliance with all contractual and funding requirements.
- Support the Board of Directors in its governance role and foster its ongoing development and capacity building.
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will share The Arc of Chemung’s vision and values, including the commitment to person-centered care. Other desired experience includes:
- Demonstrated commitment to The Arc of Chemung’s mission, vision, values, and the people we serve.
- Eight years of senior leadership experience, with at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience for an entity serving persons with intellectual and other developmental disabilities or related field.
- Demonstrated business and financial management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong fundraising track record, with an emphasis on experience with government grants, and a capacity to initiate and implement private fundraising campaigns and diversify funding sources.
- An inclusive leadership and management style that encourages staff in ways that motivates them to perform at their best and provides opportunities for professional advancement.
- Experience helping organizations develop and implement creative strategies that lead to increased capacity and outcomes.
- Track record of successful collaboration (with a preference for regional experience).
- Experience with managed care preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in relevant field preferred.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, e-mail resume, detailed cover letter, and salary requirements to: ArcChemung@raffa.com. For other inquiries contact Ginna Goodenow, Senior Search Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume reviews begin immediately.
The Arc of Chemung County is an equal opportunity employer.